Thursday, December 16, 2010

Upwind in Lots of Wind

After the a morning of very light wind making our way out of the shadow of Table Mountain, everything changed and now I am bashing upwind in 25-35 knots of wind. It has been about 5 hours of this, and I am hoping the fleet makes it through this unscathed. I have a 3rd reef in the mainsail and the staysail up for now. Going from the docks and mellow start into these conditions is intense to say the least. Le Pingouin seems to be taking the punishment well. I am certain the delayed start was a good idea, as I can’t imagine what this run would have been like a few days ago. It is supposed to lighten up and I may be parked Fri-Sunday, which will be equally frustrating. I am anxious to head east! Thanks for checking in.

Cheers,
Brad

4 comments:

  1. Batten 'em down! Mount P has your back!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Brad, you seem to be smokin the fleet already! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Brad - I know those waters well. Some of the worst and best. Go south young man, go south and hook into the big Southern Ocean express train...

    ReplyDelete